In the mid-1870s, The Rev. G.H. Dunlap came to St. James to provide Episcopal Church Services for about 6-8 members, held in various homes. As the little congratulation grew, it was moved to a room over a drug store and later, into a small school house. This mission officially became Trinity Church in 1883.
Finally in 1893, a little wooden frame church was built at 120 E. Scioto and was consecrated by The Rt. Rev. Daniel S. Tuttle, 3rd Bishop of Missouri on January 13, 1894.
William James, the founder of the Iron Works at Maramec Spring, was a former resident of St. James and member of Trinity Church. In 1923 his granddaughter, Lucy Wortham James, also a member of Trinity, had a stone shell built around the original frame church. She also donated the Whitefriars Tree of Life window at the north end of the church.